Learn English through movies
Take your spoken English from zero to hero!
Before we begin, here are a few of your teachers’ names –
Amy Adams, Angelina Jolie, Anne Hathaway, Anthony Hopkins, Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth, Christian Bale, Diane Keaton, Dwayne Johnson, Gal Gadot, Gerard Butler, Hillary Swank, Hugh Jackman, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep, Morgan Freeman, Robert Downey Jr., and Robin Williams.
Learning English through movies is an incredibly easy way to practise the language. We have a lot to learn from the actors, the stories and the situations. Begin by choosing a movie genre that appeals most to you – romantic, drama, comedy, sci-fi. Turn on the subtitles and let the learning begin!
Here’s what you’re looking for:
Knowing what to say
The English we speak is different from what we learn in a textbook just as knowledge is different from application. When a friend asks you for the time, you’re not going to say, “It’s a quarter to three”, but rather, “2.45”. So, here’s your opportunity to improve your fluency in spoken English while you watch the actors deliver their lines.
Where and how
Whether you’re watching a comedy movie or a crime thriller , you’ll be building your contextual vocabulary. What you cannot memorise as lists, flashcards and reminders, you’ll easily learn while watching your favourite movie. In the traditional method, you’ll learn new words only through repetition and your own imagination. In a movie, you’ll see the word and understand its context. You’ll learn the rules and how to break them. As you continue to watch, you’ll learn how to form an opinion and how to express it in a variety of ways.
Only 30% of communication depends on the language and the rest of the 70% is all about how you say it! This 70% is about body language – expression and tone. A simple ‘I Love You’ can take many forms based on the tone, the expression and the way it’s delivered. And then, you can watch Hugh Jackman to know how to be larger than life (The Greatest Showman, X-Men Series) or Morgan Freeman to learn how to present yourself (Shawshank Redemption, The Bucket List). The choices are plenty!
Enjoy spending time with the stars and learn from the very best. Relax, listen closely, soak in the language and appreciate learning, in style.
This article is for STEP levels 7 to 9. Click on the button now to check your STEP level for FREE.
This content was originally published here.